Sunday, August 30, 2009

Women are moved too

For so long, I've been focusing on the girls, grow the program, get the girls, change lives. What has FINALLY occured to me is that this program does so much more than effect girls. It also effects the women it touches, the volunteers, the coaches, the moms in a way I didn't realize before. I think women get involved with the program to help encourage girls to live better lives. But what I've seen time and time again is how these women's lives are changed. Yes, we're teaching girls to have a voice, to live life to the fullest, but often, we haven't been doing that ourselves. This progam is about empowerment through running, and what I see wome realizing as they begin their GOTR journey is that they are empowered. They feel like they are changing the world, and you know what, they are, starting with their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment