Saturday, May 2, 2009

Boys run too

For the  last 2 1/2 years my life has pretty much been about GIRLS on the Run.  My 8 year old who will finally be in 3rd grade next year has watched day after day while her mother has dedicated so much time to this organization.  She is ready to start in the fall for sure!!!

But today was not about GIRLS on the Run.  It was about my son.  He's six and has never known a time before GOTR crashed into our lives.  He's watched his big sister complete two 5K's while he's had to stand at the finish line.  

A week ago I told the little ones that we were going to be doing a 5K with Char Char (grandma).  He was very apprehensive, but I assured him that he would sit in the stroller while I pushed, Abby, my 4 year old would be pushed by Char Char. Then, last night at dinner, he announces, "Daddy, I'm going to run a 5K tomorrow."  I said, "Well, you're going to sit in the stroller."  "No, Mommy, I want to run.  I can do it."  

At 6:30 am he comes running into my room and grabs his clothes.  He gets dressed and is ready to go.  We picked up Char Char and her stroller for Abby and headed to race day.  When we got there his mood quickly changed from excited to scared to death.  "How far is it again?"  "3.1 miles, but you're a strong boy, you can do it."  "Well, if I get tired can you push me?"  "Son, I'm not taking the stroller. We didn't bring it."  "Oh."  And so we stood, quietly. 

At 8:00 am the race started with the horn blow, and off we went.  About 100 feet in, he said, "are we almost done?"  Oh boy, this is going to be interesting.  "No son, we just started.  We'll stay slow, we'll walk when we need to, it's going to be great."  As we ran next to the railroad track an actual train passed us coming the other way.  "Wasn't that cool?"  "No, Mom, that was LOUD."  But he ran.

We got to the first water station, and with his water he said, "Ahhh, that's better" and he took off running so fast. "Don't look back son, keep going forward."  At about the half way point he was done.  He'd given his all, and was tired.  We took off his gloves and sweatshirt which helped him feel better and off we went again.  We'd run to one mailbox then walk to the next.  Walk, run, walk, run we went for awhile.  Then we saw a second water station - GLORIOUS!!!  The volunteers were cheering, and he got a second wind.  He ran as fast as he could to get that water.  
Then up a small hill was someone taking pics and he ran faster.  Once we passed the photographer though we needed to walk. "OK son, we'll walk to the turn."  At the turn we were told we could see the finish line.  He got another energy burst, but it was short lived as the finish line wasn't actually right there.  By that time, we were holding hands and putting one foot in front of the other.  "Come on son, you're strong, I'm so proud of you" became my montra.  

Suddenly the girl ahead of us squealed, "I can see the finish line!"  So we started running a little faster, I said, "I can too, there it is!"  At the same time, we could hear the crowd cheering for people as they crossed the line.  We were definitly going to make it.  The closer we got the faster Jadon ran until the last 10 feet when he dropped my hand and took off at a full sprint.  The crowd was roaring and he felt so amazing. As a mom, I watched with such pride as my son had his moment.  His empowerment, his time of accomplishment.  It was truly remarkable, and I am so proud of my boy!

1 comment:

  1. That's such a great story! Jadon and I share something in common, you ran with both of us during our first 5K's!! I remember when you were cheering me on as I crossed my first finish line. Thanks for being such an inspiration to all generations!!

    ReplyDelete