Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 14 Practice 5K


As stated in a previous entry, the practice 5K is my favorite part of the season.  For many of these girls, it's the first time they've completed the 3.1 mile distance, and selfishly, I get to enjoy that with them.  The community 5K is great, but I'm usually running around making sure it's going smoothly, and while I enjoy the feel of it, the practice 5K is much more personal.

Thursday night was no exception.  Because the Lee's Summit and  Raytown site have 16 girls between them, we decided to combine the sites for the 5K.  We also decided that since we've run the 3.1 in Raytown before we'd bring all the girls together there and head down Blue Ridge - it's a flat stretch of road that travels through Raytown.

As the girls showed up, Julia, the Raytown coach, took charge.  She introduced all the girls to  each other and began warming them up.  As I watched, I was so  impressed with how she made the girls feel comfortable and encouraged them.  "You can do this, no problem."

At 6:15 off we went.  I got the privilege of running with different girls throughout the entire 5K.  First I got to run with Asya. We talked about how she was liking GOTR and what she was learning.  As we were running a couple of other girls joined us, so we ran and chatted.  Some would fall back and others would catch up.  As we passed the second light, I said, "We're almost half way there."  The girls couldn't believe it.  "Really? That didn't take very long."

Once we saw the water station, we knew it was the half way mark.  Several girls were already there pouring water over their heads. AWESOME!!!! Brooke and Emily, two GOTR board members were manning the station, encouraging the girls and taking pictures.

After a quick break, we were off again.  This time I was running with Rachel.  She could walk as fast as I was running.  She said, "I like going with you." As I was thinking what a nice compliment that was she added, "I don't like being pushed." So I picked up the pace.

About that time another board member was heading toward us, and Lulu, who was running with us at this time, said, "SARAH!!!"  Sarah then began running with Lulu.  Throughout the rest of the run I could hear Sarah saying, "Pump your arms, it will help."  And, "Come on, Lulu, you're doing great!"

Throughout the 5K Julia had been running up and down the road encouraging all of the girls.  The Lee's Summit coach, Michelle had stayed at the back to encourage the tail of our runners, and April, the assistant coach had run with girls helping them to pace.

As we got closer to the finish line, Brooke and Emily had loaded up the water station and returned to the finish/start line.  They were there cheering and taking more pictures.  By this time, Rachel, who I was running with was pretty spent.  "She's taking pictures, this is your moment!"  I told her.  And so she ran.  As she came across the finish line, Aimee, another board member, and the rest of the girls were cheering her on!  Again, this is my favorite part of the season, getting to share that accomplishment with the girls and watching the rest of the girls supporting each other.

We waited for the rest of the girls to finish, and  Julia headed back down the road to find them. She was yelling and cheering for them as she ran.  And as the girls crossed the finish line, the excitement in their eyes was AMAZING!!!

Two things I will take away from this experience:

1.  What a remarkable group of volunteers GOTR of Jackson County has.  I am so blessed to have their energy and commitment to this program!

2. I never get tired of experiencing the girls' first 5K with them.  It is such an honor for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment