Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So What!!!

I think there's this whole secret women thing going on out there where we tell ourselves we have to do it all. You know, things like "I am woman, hear me roar." "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan." Suddenly, a woman's role is defined by how much she can cram into her day, how much she can get done. Never mind her own peace of mind, like DORY from NEMO, "JUST KEEP SWIMMING."

I've been talking to my sister about our struggles with juggling careers, parenting, marriage, housework, and everything else we have going on, and it's occurred to me, that we're not alone on this, even though I feel like that for most of my day.  So, I'd like to take some time here and blast these lies and myths we, as women, convince ourselves of and then aspire to live up to resulting in pent up anger, frustration, and unhappiness.

I think we get this idea that women can do everything, and when we can't, what's wrong with us.  This is the lie, it's a lie I've been struggling with for years.  Why aren't I happy,I get to do it all.  Why do I get overwhelmed and feel so  broken down. No one else does.  TRUTH: EVERYONE ELSE DOES, women just don't talk about it. I think there's this unwritten rule that you better not share your struggles with anyone else bc you'll seem weak.  Well, who cares!!!  I'm weak, I need help, I can't do it all!!!!  Ahhhh, now that's freeing.


Someone posted on their FB status that Pink's "So What" is her theme song.  Know what, me too.  I am a rock star!! We all are! Let's start embracing that.  Not the overwhelmed I can't do it feeling. Next time it creeps up on me, I'm going to stop whatever it is I'm doing, crank up that song and start dancing around. Sound stupid or silly or embarrassing?  My response, "SO WHAT!!" 


What does this have to do with GOTR, glad you asked.  Because this is the direct opposite of that girl box.  Being able to say, "Who cares. This __________ does not define me."  That's empowering, and that's what we want to show girls. You don't have to do everything. You're awesome just the way you are!  You are a Rock Star!  

No comments:

Post a Comment